Who doesn’t love Mac ‘n Cheese? Here’s a great recipe from Go RVing Canada that’s perfect for this, or any, time of the year.
Serves a family of 4
Prep time 2h
1 heavy bottom casserole dish. Cast iron with a wire handle works best over the fire.
1 large pot for pre boiling the pasta
1 Tbsp butter, melted, plus more
½ pound elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
2 large eggs
1 cup half-and-half
1 small garlic clove, minced
½ cup bread crumbs
3 sprigs of fresh thyme picked and chopped
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
- Set a large pot of salted water to boil. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter heavy bottomed casserole dish.
- Cook pasta for 7 min. Drain, toss with 2 tbs of olive oil and cool. *This step can be done hours before the final baking.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups cheddar, eggs, half-and-half, garlic, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add pasta, and stir to combine add to casserole dish.
- In a food processor, pulse bread crumbs and melted butter until coarse crumbs form; season with salt and pepper. Top pasta mixture with 1/2 cup cheddar, then sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Place casserole on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until mac and cheese is golden and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Build a small fire. Wait 45 min without adding any additional wood.
- Carefully push the fire to one side of the pit. Allow enough space for the casserole dish. Make sure there is room to easily reach in and out of the pit to rotate the dish.
- Follow step 3 of Oven directions
- Follow step 4 of Oven directions using a bowl instead of a food processer
- Rotate casserole every 5 minutes for 20 minutes
Cool and enjoy!!